Creamy Coconut Oats
This is more of a method than a full recipe, but these creamy oats make for a very satisfying and delicious breakfast on cold mornings. You can top your bowl with sliced seasonal fruit, nuts, seeds, or creamy nut butters. A touch of honey or maple syrup will put it over the top, in the best way! This recipe makes enough for four portions, but it keeps for days in the fridge, so it’s a great make-ahead breakfast for busy mornings. You’ll only need to warm it on the stovetop or in the microwave for a couple of minutes before tucking into a warm bowl of porridge.
• 1 cup steel-cut oats, rinsed and drained
• ½ cup canned coconut milk (use the rest of the can in smoothies or a curry)
• 2½ cups water
• ¾ tsp fine sea salt
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• ¼ tsp cinnamon (I like Ceylon cinnamon best)
• Your favourite toppings (for this bowl, I used sliced orange, pomegranate seeds and pistachios)
1. In a medium saucepan, bring the coconut milk and water to a boil over high heat.
2. Add the oats and stir to combine. Once the mixture returns to a boil, reduce heat to medium low.
3. Stir in sea salt, and simmer mixture for 15-20 minutes, partially covered, until oats are soft, but still a little bit chewy in the middle.
4. Mix in the vanilla and cinnamon, distribute between your bowls, and add your desired toppings.